The Silverinator’s 5 Hot Manicure Trends for Summer
There’s a huge variety of different nail polishes and manicure designs to choose from, and the hottest ones for summer are flashy, colourful and bold. Here are five of the flashiest, most colourful and boldest manicure trends this summer! Be sure to try one out to spice up your summer look.
1. My first favourite is neons. These have always been a summer favourite and a classic trend that is flattering for all nail shapes and lengths. Here is a Skittles manicure with each nail a different colour to demonstrate some of the varieties available.
2. Second up is glitter! Bling is always a favourite and a great way to accessorize for a night out or be a little daring for the office without going totally overboard. Glitter comes in many shapes and forms, ranging from bar glitter, hex, flakies, shredded, matte, multicoloured, tinted jelly base, cream base, clear base, etc. They are so much fun to experiment with layering over other polishes and creating colour combos to make your own original design.
3. Third is holographic polishes. These are like a rainbow in a bottle! In certain angles, especially sunlight, they flash multiple colours and are really dazzling. You can get scattered holo, linear holo, small and tightly packed holo or large and very loose holo in a myriad of colours.
Color Club is scheduled to release their 2012 Halographic Hues collection in six shades this coming August, so be on the lookout for those pretties!
4. My favourites in fourth place are duochromes and multichromes. These polishes shift to entirely different colours as you tilt your nails at certain angles. It’s like having multiple polishes in one bottle! Some brands feature a very subtle colour shift, whereas others have a very flashy and significant change in colour.
China Glaze has just released their 2012 Bohemian Collection with six duochromes that have subtle colour shifts. Go and check them out – maybe you’ll even receive a China Glaze polish in an upcoming Topbox!
Expert tip: many duochromes and multichromes are so metallic that they leave very obvious brushstroke marks on your nails. Buffing your nails to smooth any ridges and/or using a ridge-filling basecoat can help decrease brushstrokes and create a nice mirror-like finish.
5. My final favourite is the accent nail or party nail, which is very popular in Hollywood right now. Usually, the ring finger is dressed up to make it stand out and grab attention. You can do this with glitter, rhinestones, painted nail art, decals or simply paint it a different colour. I also like to do a complimentary reverse design like the example on the right below, which you can read about on my blog here.
What is your favourite summer nail trend? Have fun playing with the plethora of awesome polishes available and soon to be released!